Friday, February 16, 2007

Chpter 002

At the time, I never had conversations with the opposite sex - except for Chaz, of course.
When I was in grade 2, my crush came over & asked if I wanted to borrow his crayons. I nodded & tried not to show my anxiety when I was just talking to him. One minute he was clean, the next he was just spewed on by me.

So I kinda avoided from having small talk with the male species.

But after that Maths class, I had no choice but to do exactly what I regretted doing - talking to Grant.
"So... You like it here?" I said, trying to sound casual, even though I was freaking out on having to show him where the guys' toilet is or the Bio & Physics lab.
That & because he was trailing behind me, his bag slung casually over his broad shoulders.

Ohmygod. I cannot believe I just thought of that.
"Brad shoulders". Ew. I'm with Chaz.
Chaz, the sweetest, cutest guy ever.
What would I want with a smirking, pompous ass like Grant?

"Hellooo? Earth to Kathleen?" I nearly jumped an inch from hearing that deep voice of his so close in my ear.
"Kat. Kath. Anything but Kathleen." I said as I tried to regain my calm composure.

Obviously, he noticed. He was smirking 50% more than usual (& neccessary).

"I said, your school ain't half as bad. There's actually a computer lab around here."
"Stop being so smug. Your school - wherever it is - cannot beat this school. Yes, we have a computer lab. & 2 libraries. & toilets, if you must know."
He gave me a grin & said, "Hmm... You've got humour. I like that."

I don't know why but I felt a tingle go up my spine when he said that last sentence.

What's wrong with me?! I've already got Chaz.
I've barely known him for half the day & already I'm thinking how good he looks in that green shirt.
Damn him.

"Where we going anyway?" Grant said, ignoring the fact that he stepped on my heel - for real.
"We have Physics Ed now. So, that's heading to the field. Oh, no wait. Guys have basketball. Girls have softball. You can head to the locker now. Buh-bye."
I gave him this so-called happy wave to him - like a mother dropping off her kid on his first day to school.
But he just stood there with that smirk on his face.

Really. I think his face is half-frozen to that expression or something.

"What are you looking so smug about?"
"I'm the new kid. I don't know a thing about Physics Ed. So, I guess I have to watch my tour-guide on how she does her stuff."

My jaw dropped - really. Like in those Donald Duck cartoons.
He wants to watch me play softball??
I can pitch as much as Chaz is going to wear a tutu!

Aw, what did I care? He's just a bloated-head guy.
I closed my mouth & opened it again to say something. But I couldn't because at that exact moment, a consistent sound of beeps were heard.

Everyone in the corridor took out their mobile - including me. I took out my pager & saw a message in caps:

"AGENT Z27. RETURN TO HQ IMMEDIATELY."

I rolled my eyes & gave another phony smile - like they do in those Colgate ads - to Grant.
"Well, I sorta gotta go. Why don't you, ah, watch Chaz with P Ed?"

Chaz looked at my direction & smiled. His smile vanished when he saw Grant standing next to me - a little too close for comfort, I just realised. But I didn't have time to panic on the whole distance between him & me right now.
I had better things to worry about.

"Grant, Chaz. Chaz, Grant." I introduced the two of them & they nod in acknowledgement.
Chaz threw me a mixture of confused & disturbed look. I shruggged & coughed, "Newbie".

Finally, he understood & said, "C'mon dude. We're late. See you, Kat."
I opened the door to the girls' bathroom until Chaz called out my name again.

"Kat! Kat! Wait!"
"Yea?" I smiled.
"Well... Um..." His face turned pink & said, "Well... I hope you like it."
He plucked the rose he gave me before & pinned it to my blouse.
"Thanks, Chaz." I smiled & gave him a kiss on his cheek.

His face turned even redder & waved me a goodbye before I went to the girls' room.

I took out my pager & paged "A Z27 reporting for duty".

After checking whether the coast was clear, I opened a hidden switch from one of the peach-coloured tiles & pushed the red button.
A cleverly hidden door slid open from one of the walls. I walked in & there was Chief, sitting at his desk, as always.

I casually walked in & sat down on the leather couch facing across the Chief's desk & said, "What's up, doc?"
"It seems that there's trouble arising in Malaxia. Dr Crook had planted another bomb in the triplet towers. A jet is awaiting for you as usual."

I sighed & said, "Doesn't that lunatic ever give up?"


... Welcome to my life.

No comments: